Child’s Proof of Immunization

For our Online or Options Scholars – scholars are exempt from Vaccine Law SB277 because the programs are non-classroom based However, if your child has been previously vaccinated we highly recommend that you provide proof of immunizations in order to maintain updated records. For more information about the required number of doses and the ages at which vaccines must be given, review the Guide to Immunizations Required for Grades K–12.

When Do I Need to Provide My Immunization Records? Immunization records must be presented prior to registering for classes.

Not Sure What Immunizations Are Required? For more details, including information regarding what immunizations/shots your scholar needs, please refer to the Shots for Schools website, and for a complete list of immunization requirements, please see the Health and Safety Code Section 120325–120380 webpage.

The California Immunization Record (sometimes called the “yellow card”) helps you keep track of what shots your child has received and when. Many California medical offices and clinics can now update your child’s yellow card automatically using an electronic immunization registry, known as the California Immunization Registry.

Where Can I Get Immunizations for My Scholar? Immunizations can be obtained from doctor’s offices, clinics,or hospitals. Pediatricians and family doctors or their nurses or medical assistants can give your scholar the vaccines they need. In addition, some large chain pharmacies offer immunizations for older children and adults. Print the Child Immunization Checklist (en Español) to help keep track of the vaccines your child needs to be protected.

What if I Need Assistance Paying for Vaccines? By law, California managed-care organizations (such as Kaiser Permanente and Blue Cross) must cover recommended immunizations for children. Your health plan may charge a co-payment for the visit. Check with your health plan or your doctor’s office about any fees.

If you don’t have health insurance, you may be able to get free immunizations through one of these programs:

  • Healthy Families. Children enrolled in California’s Healthy Families plan receive free immunizations with no co-payment.
  • Medi-Cal. Medi-Cal covers preventive care services for eligible low-income children and adults. Contact your local County Social Services for more information.
  • Vaccines for Children. Many private-practice California doctors participate in the Vaccines for Children (VFC)program, which gives free vaccine to eligible children up to age 18. Ask your child’s doctor if his or her office offers VFC shots.
  • CHDP. Children eligible for California’s Child Health and Disability Prevention (CHDP) program may also be eligible for free or low-cost shots.